注册
X系列官方授权正版
搜索
查看: 8406|回复: 13

Big brother in outer space!

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-4-29 02:11:13 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
New speed cameras trap motorists from space
A new type of speed cameras which can use satellites to measure average speed over long distances are being tested in Britain.

By By Richard Savill
Published: 6:30AM BST 20 Apr 2010
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/76081...

Satellites could track motorists from space if trials prove successful Photo: AFP The cameras, which combine number plate reading technology with a global positioning satellite receiver, are similar to those used in roadworks.

The AA said it believed the new system could cover a network of streets as opposed to a straight line, and was “probably geared up to zones in residential areas.”

Related Articles
Geoff Hoon: Speed traps could be replaced with 'fairer' cameras
More speed cameras planned for UK roads
Lowering of speed limits could be policed by average speed cameras
Average-speed cameras could replace 'spot' cameras on Britain's roads
More than 400 drivers a month fined in 50mph motorway average speed trap
British steam supercar to challenge world land speed recordThe Home Office is testing the cameras at two sites, one in Southwark, London, and the other A374 between Antony and Torpoint in Cornwall.

The `SpeedSpike’ system, which calculates average speed between any two points in the network, has been developed by PIPS Technology Ltd, an American-owned company with a base in Hampshire.

Details of the trials are contained in a House of Commons report. The company said in its evidence that the cameras enabled "number plate capture in all weather conditions, 24 hours a day". It also referred to the system's "low cost" and ease of installation.

The system could be used for "main road enforcement for congestion reduction and speed enforcement", and could help to "eliminate rat-runs" and cut speeds outside schools, it added. It could also reduce the need for speed humps.

The development of speed cameras has raised concerns about expanding state surveillance.

The Home Office said it was unable to comment on the trials because of "commercial confidentiality".

The AA said it would watch the system “carefully” but it did not believe there was anything sinister. “It is a natural evolution of the technology that is out there,” a spokesman said.

本帖子中包含更多资源

您需要 登录 才可以下载或查看,没有账号?注册

发表于 2010-4-29 02:51:25 | 显示全部楼层
seems that we will be in BIG trouble if this SpeedSpike put into use! But i think it is not possible to monitor every single speeder on earth from the magnitude of computation point of view if you know what i am saying...
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-4-29 06:16:44 | 显示全部楼层
回复 2# Xman

no idont
but i doubt they will monitor the speed of the planes
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-5-1 02:33:41 | 显示全部楼层
>.<i am the ppl that always drive exceed the speed limit
hate it
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-5-1 02:52:10 | 显示全部楼层
回复 3# WDragon
i was talking about the complexity of computation... i just wonder if you are in the same industry as i am since you mentioned in another thread that you are in college right now. never mind. :)
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-5-1 05:19:31 | 显示全部楼层
回复 5# Xman

im in university
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-5-1 05:44:02 | 显示全部楼层
回复 6# WDragon
right. does it make any difference??
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-5-1 05:45:51 | 显示全部楼层
回复 7# Xman

it makes whole lot differences
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2010-5-1 05:50:32 | 显示全部楼层
回复 8# WDragon
but you are still in a certain college of a university.
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2010-5-1 05:51:36 | 显示全部楼层
回复 9# Xman

so u want to know which school im in
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

关闭

站长推荐上一条 /1 下一条

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|DeepTimes.NET 太空游戏站